I have always been interested in exploring three dimensions through architecture and sculpture.
Along with figurative work and portaiture many of my sculptures relate to landscape and walks that I have undertaken through the medium of carving in wood and stone .
In recent years I have been exploring the medium of glass and have become fascinated by the way it can be used to capture and manipulate light. In my glass sculptures I have tried to use these properties to convey the life force within living things.
My work includes fusing and slumping glass over hand made moulds and I have recently been exploring casting, both in plaster/quartz moulds and open casting into sand moulds using both kiln firing and hot pouring methods to create interesting textures.
The imagery I use relates to the positive life force emerging from water and developing through DNA into organic forms and in particular in the female torso.
The silver birch is a particularly positive image for me representing new growth. More recentley I have been exploring landscape and in particular the mountains and waterways of Wales.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL WORK
- 1974 DIPL IN ARCHITECTURE, LEEDS POLYTECHNIC
- PRACTICING ARCHITECT IN LONDON, BOSTON USA, OXFORD, AND WEST AFRICA
- 1994 PGCE, MIDDLESEX UNIVERSITY
- TEACHING DESIGN TECHNOLOGY AND ART
- CITY AND GUILDS LEVEL 3 IN WOOD CARVING, STONE CARVING AND SCULPTURE, CITY LIT
- SCULPTURE COURSES AT:- CITY LIT, THE INSTITUTE HAMPSTEAD GARDEN SUBURB and UNIVERSITY OF HERTFORDSHIRE
- FUSED AND CASTING COURSES AT UNIVERSITY OF HERTFORDSHIRE
- STUDIO WORK WITH EWA WAWRZYNIAK
GLASSHAUS XIV PARNDOM MILL Harlow 19th Sept - 3rd Nov 2019
BRITISH GLASS BIENNALE 2019 Stourbridge 23Aug-28Sept2019
WARM GLASS PEOPLES PRIZE BRITISH GLASS BIENNALE 2019
FFIN Y PARC Country House & Gallery Betws Road, Llanrwst, Conwy, LL26 0PT. Solo show 10th Nov - 4th Dec 2019
WORK CURRENTLY AVAILABLE AT:-
- London Glassblowing Gallery Bermondsey
- Creates Gallery Monmouth
Kooywood GALLERY CARDIFF Solo exhibition May 2019
- REFRACTION & REFLECTION Solo exhibition MOMA Wales Machynlleth 24/2/18 - 27/4/18
- ROYAL SOCIETY OF BRITISH ARTISTS Mall galleries 21/3/18 - 31/3/18
- BREAKING THE MOULD Gallery London Glassblowing 27/9/18 - 20/10/18
- East Finchley Open Studios 30/6 -1/7 & 7/7-8/7 2018
- GLASSHAUS XII Parndom Mill 2017
- BRITISH GLASS BIENNALE 2017
- GLASSHAUS 11 Parndom Mill exhibition of emerging glass artists 2016
- Mall Galleries Society of Miniaturists selected annual exhibition 2016
- Architectural glass Contemporary Glass Society exhibition 2016
- Art and artefact Group exhibition Hampstead
- Cecilia Coleman Gallery St Johns Wood
- Erwood Station Galllery Builth Wells
- 'Something Yellow' Contemporary Glass Society exhibition 2016
- Rhythm and Blues Hornsey Library 2015
- Whisps and Fragments Hornsey Library 2014
- Hertfordshire university 2014, 2015,2016
- East Finchley Open studios 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016,2017